Monday, September 1, 2014

Transfer: Lawton OK

Well, I'll just get to the good stuff. Yes, I am getting transferred. I am headed down to serve on an Army base. I'm headed to Lawton OK. The base is Ft. Sill. I am still a district leader. I have been one for over a year now. There is only one other elder who has been a district leader as long as me, and he came out one transfer before me. I enjoy the leadership service, and the opportunity I have to work so closely with missionaries, but preparing a training for every Friday is getting to be not so fun. It envelops a lot of my studies during the week, so I don't get to study everything I want to. Frankly I think this will be my last area. I only have less than 6 months left and President has told the mission to expect to be in areas longer than usual. I will truly miss OKC! This has been the refining point of my mission! I feel I have family here! It is always hard to leave family!
 
Saturday was great! It was awesome having the perspective of the witnesses. Being able to sign there sealing document was a wonderful spiritual experience. I thought it was just going to be some paperwork, but when I realized what I was signing it hit me! This is eternal! As I sat in the sealing room at the head with the sealer I felt so honored. I had opportunity to contemplate my own eternal family. I love and miss y'all! I am so thankful for the covenant that you and dad performed with each other and Heavenly Father! I am thankful for the knowledge of being a forever family! It brings so much peace. I'm glad Utah has been a good experience! Sometimes I feel like I'm getting left behind with all these monumental check points in our family's lives, but then I remember I'm on a mission and I just smile and say, nah nah ne nah nah! This is the greatest experience thus far in my life! I am loving it! I wouldn't replace it for anything! I hope that doesn't disturb or offend any, but It's how I feel. Nothing could turn me from this course! I WILL finish strong! I will be obedient to Father's commission! It's tough, it's exhausting, it's painful! BUT, It's salvation, It's love, it's my family! They deserve my all! They deserve the spirit! They deserve a chance! One of the thoughts that keeps me going on hard days is this; There are a few conversations we can have after this life with our siblings. The first is: Thank you, thank you for bringing the gospel to my life. You kept your promise! OR, It can be the more painful, Why didn't you come to me? You promised you would come and find me! I was right there! If you would have just knocked one more door, or called one more person I would have been there willing! It motivates me! It helps me keep an eternal perspective on things! I re-realized that pride has been affecting me again, so I committed myself to always keep an eternal perspective! If I see others as God sees them, then I wont exalt myself above them! Rather, I will desire there exaltation above my own!
 
So I recently had an opportunity to have an interview with President Walkenhorst and he asked me a question that was very routine to him, but it helped me out a lot. He asked "what has the Spirit been teaching you Elder Burnham?" I thought about it and reflected a little, and I answered in a way I thought contrary to missionary work in general. I said "I have been taught to slow down." I realized I have been frantically trying to cram my days full with "good finding activities." because the realization of lack of time is setting in! I am scared of the reality of time flying! These two years are not enough! I remember praying for more energy to move quicker and do more! I was rebuked by the Spirit. I was taught in a simple way through studying the scriptures: D&C 61:3. I realized I couldn't work harder, I was working myself to death! I also can't work longer, we have a set schedule. All I can do is work smarter. I am beginning to comprehend the art of prioritizing. I have never really been proficient at this, and I am training myself to be so. It is too easy to stay busy doing good things. It is a whole different ball-game when it comes to being busy with the most effective activity. "Good, Better, Best!"
 
Well, I love you all! Thank you for the support and encouragement! I feel it every day!
 
P.S. I will be in a biking area again :/
 
Not a Second Wasted,
Elder Ryan Ford Burnham

No comments:

Post a Comment