Tuesday, April 29, 2014

Baptisms and Staying in the City

Sorry I didn't get an email out yesterday. My companion and I were helping the office missionaries move some sisters. We have practically become office elders, and the office couple said they would be talking to President Walkenhorst to see if we could become permanent. I'm not sure how I feel about this, I love to help and serve but it will be taking away from our proselyting time. My comp. is very excited, he would rather be in at a desk doing inventory, then moving missionaries than teaching. Maybe I can convince 'em to make us office elders after I leave, which I don't want to do! I love this area! We'll see. I'm glad Utah was an exciting memorable experience! Oh so her name is Melissa? That's more than Sean would tell me! But I probably know some things y'all don't know ;) Us brothas got to stick together! Have you heard from them while they are in the Holy Lands? I'm so jealous! Well transfers are this week, and Elder McGlothlin and I are staying put. My trainer goes home Wednesday. I'm going to miss that man! He has definitely become one of my best friends! He will be attending BYU-I. President Walkenhorst sent us this email to all missionaries- "There have been several requests to Skype for Mother's Day. We will allow it as a test. I do have concerns about it being a burden and a problem for members to accommodate. You may Skype, but make sure that you do not create problems for members." So, what time will you be wanting me to Skype? the member we will be going over to, has apple face-time as well. Let me know your account info or whatever is needed to call you, the member's name is Aaron Gates. I don't know if that helps. I don't remember how Skype works. Well, we were supposed to have a baptism next week, but the Zone Leaders from another zone might have screwed it up. Our investigator wont respond to us. Her daughters live in the Zone Leader's area and were preparing for baptism with their mother, our investigator. Well, I guess they had a lesson all together up in the Zone Leaders area, and now she wont respond. The ZL's told us that the lesson was "ripped to shreds... blown up... straight up ridiculousness... we think she's mad at us..." So I don't know if that's still going to go through. However, I will be up in Ponca City that day for a baptism. I will be baptizing a 14 year old girl I taught up there. We baptized her mother and now she has decided to be baptized! I did get the package, thank you very much! I was able to give a baptism interview last night! I really enjoy that opportunity! It's a little nerve racking being the one to determine the worthiness/preparedness of an individual for baptism, but it's one of the more sacred experiences I get to participate in on the mission! His name was Jim Clinton, his wife and kids are members, and he was Baptist! He has struggled with Chewing tobacco since he was 9 years old. He's 42. He has had some marvelous experiences with God. He says he has seen God and Jesus Christ. He was a truck driver and he had a real nasty accident. His little girl was in the truck and he said he saw them protect her and deflect any debris. He received major injuries and has had multiple neck surgeries, which have all failed. He can't look down or up, and very little to either side. His daughter came out with a bruise on her shoulder and that's it. He was baptized shortly after being released from the hospital, into the Baptist church. He was telling all of this to me last night. He had a marvelous experience and has all the worldly reason to stay in attendance at "his" church. But..... there's always a big but.... He knows that Joseph Smith was a prophet! He knows the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints is God's kingdom on the earth! He is being baptized the 3rd of may. I am excited to attend that baptism. I love baptisms! Oh speaking of which, the sisters in our ward had a baptism on Saturday. I was asked to speak on baptism. Her name was Sue Wilson. Her husband has been a member since his early twenties. He was baptized in Salt Lake, while stationed there for the Air Force. He then went inactive because his bishop wouldn't shake his hand but did an elbow bump, because the bishop had a newborn and didn't want to bring any germs home. He was offended and vowed never to return. Well until he met the OKC 2nd missionaries at the library on a P-day. :) He now holds the Aaronic Priesthood and baptized his wife. He passed the Sacrament for the first time on Sunday, and next week will bless the Sacrament! They are like my Okie Grandparents! I love 'em so much! Well I love y'all! Thanks for everything you do! I'm looking forward to this next transfer! I have high hopes for it!
 
Not a Second Wasted,
Elder Ryan Burnham

No comments:

Post a Comment