Monday, January 5, 2015

Tired, Happy, Excited, Scared, Nervous, Anxious, Ready, Mormon

This week has been interesting. I have had many opportunities to counsel with the sisters in my district. Well, first off I should tell you that transfers are happening this Wednesday, but Elder Bueno and I are staying together. He will be killing me. This is my last transfer! That means 6 more weeks! Ok, back to the sisters. They were supposed to have a baptism this Sunday for a girl they have been working with for 5 months or so. We had setup a baptism interview for Friday evening. When 4:00 rolled around I and my ZL was waiting at the church to perform that. I was on exchanges so I was with one of my zone leaders. Well The sisters showed up and Kyla did not. Kyla is in a poor situation. She lives with another kid who is renting from her. He is in his 20's and so is she. He is very antagonistic and negative. He claims us to be a cult and all that nonsense. Well he has been the main obstacle for Kyla to overcome. It seemed like she had up until Friday night. They share a phone and the man, Robert, kept answering and telling the sisters to back off and stop calling. Which the sisters were getting to the point of pestering them out of desperation. Anyway, the baptism didn't happen and the sisters were heartbroken. They have really come to love Kyla and experienced for the first time the pain of bringing a beloved investigator, their sister to the waters of baptism and she decide last minute to jump ship. It rocked their worlds! So instead of interviewing Kyla I took those minutes to sit down and listen to these devastated sisters. It was a weird feeling to be the most senior missionary in the situation. I respect my ZL's, but they are younger. It was definitely a learning experience for him. He was lost, and had no clue how to work with sisters in distress. I have to say, if there is anything I have learned on my mission it is that women are a different breed and cannot be treated the same as an elder. All too often Elders whine and complain about sisters and their "needs". I just want to slap those fools! I wish I could grab them by the back of the neck and shake them! It blows my mind how Sisters are so degraded because the Elders are not willing to put in the effort to work with them. No matter how exhaustive it is! I'm not going to lie, I think the only thing more exhausting for me then working/counseling with sisters is attending the temple. It's just draining. Well, It all worked out and the sisters are on cloud nine and understand more of the atonement and charity. They never realized that what they were feeling was a small sample of what God feels. It was awesome to see the light come on. I pray that light will stay and they will be able to push through the next sure to come heartbreak! They are young sisters and are great missionaries! I have high hopes for them!

The package arrived perfect! Nothing was damaged. Thank you! It pains me to hear about Bryce and Mindy. I will certainly keep them in my prayers. I will be attending the temple the 13th and will place them on the prayer roll. 

I'm tired, I'm happy, I'm excited, I'm scared, I'm nervous, I'm anxious, I'm ready, and I'm a Mormon!

I'm glad your holidays were so great! I love ya, and I will be seeing you soon!

Not a Second Wasted,
Elder Ryan Burnham

Displaying 045.JPG

No comments:

Post a Comment