Monday, May 27, 2013

Helping Hands in the Storm

 
I am sore! Haha I love it! This past week has been a different kind of hard work than I'm used to. So like all of you know there were a couple tornadoes this week. Moore was devastated the most. Since my area is south and pretty far from Moore we have been assigned to work in the Shawnee area where a tornado ripped through. Shawnee has been kind of neglected, over shadowed because of Moore, but there is still a massive amount of damage. We as missionaries are limited as to what we can do when it comes to power tools, so we are able to be the grunts of the task forces. We have been movin', draggin', chuckin', rollin', and dodgin' branches, bricks, logs, trees, home walls, silos, sheds, dressers, every thing you can imagine. It is a truly incredible sight. Being on scene is nothing compared to what has been shown or talked about. It's very difficult not to bring up the Plan of Salvation when you are working next to a victim who has lost a loved one. They believe they have been taken from their family and will never see them again. Our Mission President has stated that this is not a time for teaching, but for a time of serving. We were told that like the good Samaritan we need to first address the wounds, then we can help with the coping and healing process. I am thankful my family, brother and father mostly, kept me in shape and able. I see some of these volunteers who have been here non-stop for a week and they are dead and drained. But when we, strong young boys show up its like a rallying call has been made and we are able to work and keep going. We truly don't know how at points, because we want to fall over and just not move. But with the extra strength from our Heavenly Father we are able to keep carrying logs, and trunks. I know I couldn't perform the tasks I have and will perform without the help of the Lord. It just seems non humanly possible.
 
...So I am being transferred to Pauls Valley, same stake about 45 minutes away. My new companion is Elder Haskall. The things I have felt, experienced, and see on my mission are AWESOME. Their is nothing else that can bring as much happiness and fulfillment as serving the Lord and bringing others who have not had true joy in their lives to a knowledge of Christ and his all-encompassing love! I'm thankful for my family and the support and prayers. Keep them up. Continue to pray for those who have been devastated.
 
Not a Second Wasted
Elder Burnham (B2)








Keep those who have been devastated by the storms in your prayers! Love you all so much! Have fun in California! Oh and the turtle is named Bandit. I found him in the middle of the road, so he was my pet for 2 hours then we gave him to a member who collects them since we cant have pets. And yes I gave him lettuce from a taco from taco bell.










I got caught biking in a flash rain storm!!! FUN TIMES!!!!!!!!!!!!!


 

No comments:

Post a Comment