Monday, March 25, 2013

Not a second wasted.

I love you. We haven't gotten too many storms, but we have received lots of wind. We had a couple of days where it drizzled, and showered occasionally. We also have blossoms a plenty. My allergies have not acted up yet so I am happy. This week Elder Anderson and I saw miracles! First, early on in the week we had been tracting and having 0 success. So we decided to take a breather and go to braums, a big ice-cream/diner chain, and get a snack. It was quite chilly that day so I got some chili. Well as we entered braums, a gentleman and his daughter walked in behind us. to our surprise he wanted to converse with us, I was sooo excited! Well until he started asking questions like "I heard Brigham Young, the founder of your church, hired assassins to take out opposition, is that true?" hahaha it took all I had to not laugh. We explained that yes saints were persecuted and driven out of their lands, and yes there was a militia for DEFENSE, but that we would have to research whether or not Brigham hired assassins. Anyway his name is Eric and he is from Bakersfield. He is truly interested in bettering himself, and having a religious based household. We were able to teach him and his wife the Restoration, and he liked it and wanted us to come back, well he just had surgery on his brim, shoulder, and has asked us to comeback this Friday. We know this man and his family need what we have to share, he admitted to us he had a sketchy past and that he wants the guilt to be taken away, I nearly blurted out "well then accept our message and be baptized!!!" We also ran into a Chinese foreign international student, who we prayed with. He is in a band that plays at one of the churches here so he has been exposed to religion a little bit. He wanted to talk to us and find out our beliefs so I am excited to see where this goes. I also impressed him by saying "xie xie" or thank you, when we left. I got us in for sure ;) We, Elder Anderson and I, have very strong testimonies of exact obedience! After having some really tough weeks with no success, we turned to our White Handbook, and picked out things we could improve on, even as little as dropping the sarcasm, or being more positive. We have seen such an increase in opportunities to share the gospel. So this week at church I found out some challenges the bishop gave to the ward. the first was in a specific time period, 5 months, he had asked the ward to read the Book of Mormon and when you finish write your testimony in the front cover then give it to him, and then he will in turn give it to the missionaries. We are really excited to use these Books of Mormon when teaching, it is more personal, and a way of fellow shipping without being there with us at the lesson. Second was the bishop had asked all persons 16 and older when called upon to give a talk to prepare sufficiently to give their talk without notes or any resources on the stand. This has brought such a powerful spirit into the meetings, because of the strength of these members testimonies! It is amazing! I know how much members want to share the gospel, but don't know how, have the courage, or don't know who to share it with. I would suggest having a ward activity with the missionaries, where they teach how to teach with the pamphlets they have. They are simple, and can be shared with anybody in 10 minutes. Have the missionaries real-play, role play, how a lesson is taught, and how it can be applied to that specific persons needs. Have the Missionaries bring copies of each pamphlet they have and explain how they use them. I am so very thankful for the wards "anxious engagement" in missionary work, I pray that everyone will pray as a family for a name that they can give to the missionaries. Referrals are one of the key tools to teaching prepared souls by the lord. I know it can be nerve racking and scary, but how great are the worth of souls who are waiting for their neighbors, co-workers, friends to share the message of the restored gospel of Jesus Christ. I love this work. I love being a missionary. I love you all. I love my Savior. I love teaching my brothers and sister. I pray you have the same desire to share the truth.
 
Not a second wasted.
 
Elder Burnham.

No comments:

Post a Comment