Monday, July 7, 2014

Focus on the GOOD!

Tyler is doing amazing! He wasn't at church (along with half the ward) because he was out of town with his father, who he doesn't get to see often. But he's been doing great. He has consistently been reading a chapter from the Book of Mormon daily. He read 2 on Sunday because he felt bad for missing church, it was cute. We have another appointment with him Wednesday. Elder Buhler is doing great! His birthday was yesterday. We did work but it was all kind of depressing. I felt bad for him. We made a plan to contact a lot of less active/part-member families. All claimed they were not Mormon and wanted nothing to do with us. But he was a trooper. We were able to focus on the good! We were biking and stopped a lady who was walking and I think we kind of caught her off guard. She whispered under her breath "I can't believe I ran into you." I don't think She wanted us to hear it, but I did. So I explored that route. I testified of divine intervention and how coincidences don't just happen. She started to cry, and then she got all paranoid and kept saying "I can't talk to you right now, I can't talk to you right now." I have a feeling she is in an abusive relationship. We were able to exchange info and she told us she really want s to meet with us but it will have to be when she calls us. This lady named Kassy needs the gospel in her life! I instantly developed a love for her as she said "I cant believe I ran into you." It was an amazing experience that left both of us in awe. I love how the Lord works. We have done our part, now the desire needs to work in her.
 
The 4th was great! We had the booth, which I convinced President to let Elders run as well. It was super successful! Like if we were to equate the effectiveness of the booth to tracting hours it would be like thousands of hours of tracting! I also got a nice tan! We were there from setup to close. 9:00 am- 10:00 pm. We then went with Bro. Lusk to watch fireworks. Oh speaking of that, He has agreed to take me to find a suit this week. Will you please make sure enough funds are in my account? Thanks!
 
...
 
So I had a rude awaking this week. I had exchanges with my Zone Leader and he relayed some information that devastated me! He started off by asking me how my relationship with the district was. I thought it was pretty solid....... apparently not. A sisters companionship in my district thinks that I am a very prideful leader, who focuses too much on numbers. When I heard this my heart just sunk! If there was anything I knew I did not want to be known as, it was this. I couldn't believe it! I thought I had done all I could to serve my district. It was time for some major reflection and evaluation. I re-read a talk by Ezra Taft Benson called "Beware of Pride". It's probably my most marked up/read talk I own a copy of. It was time to pull it out again. I came to realize that one aspect of pride is withholding praise and gratitude. I rededicated myself to taking more time to be thankful for my district. The only thing the companionship could give the Zone Leader was that when I call in on Sundays for collecting numbers for the week, that's all I focus on. They said I don't try to create a relationship with my district members. My initial reaction was impulsive and wrong. I got all defensive and gave a handful of legit reasons why I do it so quickly. But again I was slapped by the spirit while reading this talk and it clearly states defensiveness is used by the prideful. I am doing all I can to become a servant-leader. I want to resolve this and make it right. Also it makes it difficult because of the limitations between Elders and Sisters. It's been a stressful week! But stress means you're alive.
 
I love you all so much! Thank you for all you do! I got the dress shirts but no garments yet. I'll be looking for them.
 
Not a second Wasted,
Elder Ryan Burnham

No comments:

Post a Comment